WI Napoléon II: Bourbon Hostage?

Now that I think about it, there would be another important international actor who currently still resides in Paris, namely Pius VII, who only on 23 January 1814, dressed in the clothes of an ordinary bishop, was taken to nice via a tortuous route to get around the Rhone valley ( but the disguise created by the Bonapartists didn't work, so the prisoner's journey became a long festive procession among the French population, who greeted him along the way ) with the aim of bringing him back to Savona, where on 16 February he entered again in the city ( where you resided until Napoleon's abdication in April of the same year, he return to Rome only on May 24th ) now considering the very long negotiations due to the Vienna / Paris congress in Otl, it is not difficult to imagine that at least cardinal Consalvi is present in the city, and that he can be used as an intermediary by Franz to obtain guarantees on the protection of his nephew, for the rest of the chapter, sublime as usual, Klemens' joke regarding the inability of the Bourbons to think of an overly complex plan to get rid of a possible inconvenient competitor ( unlike the Medici or the Borgias ) is very funny, is there any chance that Franz could convince the British not to totally trust King Louis, given that Louis is already demonstrating that he wants to play on multiple fronts simultaneously ( promising to assist Ferdinand but supporting Murat's government ) perhaps by trying to make direct contact with Georgie Porgy to try to flatter him, convincing him that Vienna will support his ambitions for Hanover ?

Last edited:
[3] yup, Leopold of Coburg. While he rode into Paris with the Russian army's Maria Feodorovna Cuirassiers in 1814, the guy had slept with Hortense de Beauharnais and Caroline Murat (and it was rumoured that Josephine was likewise a notch on his bedpost), so he'd definitely have "some" value as knowing people who would've heard what is being said in private
Leopold the 1st of Belgium? I'm kind of impressed that (if the rumor was true) Josephine "still had it."

Leopold the 1st of Belgium?
Oui
I'm kind of impressed that (if the rumor was true) Josephine "still had it."
How true the rumor is, IDK, but at/after the Congress of Vienna Léopold reportedly boasted that he had good reason to believe he was "better" than the duke of Wellington, since while Art had only bedded Nappy's mistress and beaten Nappy on the battlefield, he (Léopold) was u equalled as the only prince in Europe who had bedded not one but BOTH of Napoléon's wives (and Hortense and Caroline) . Whether this was simply Léo with a fratboydian type boast or the truth, I have no idea. In Frankie Goes to the Hofburg, I have the title character scathingly disparage Léopold to his face about the rumor. Which given Frankie's open dislike for his mother, seems odd that he'd laugh off the boast instead of going "I'm not surprised" or "you too?"

Now that I think about it, there would be another important international actor who currently still resides in Paris, namely Pius VII, who only on 23 January 1814, dressed in the clothes of an ordinary bishop, was taken to nice via a tortuous route to get around the Rhone valley ( but the disguise created by the Bonapartists didn't work, so the prisoner's journey became a long festive procession among the French population, who greeted him along the way ) with the aim of bringing him back to Savona, where on 16 February he entered again in the city ( where you resided until Napoleon's abdication in April of the same year, he return to Rome only on May 24th ) now considering the very long negotiations due to the Vienna / Paris congress in Otl, it is not difficult to imagine that at least cardinal Consalvi is present in the city, and that he can be used as an intermediary by Franz to obtain guarantees on the protection of his nephew,
Did not know that. Although I imagine his Holiness will not be doing this for free
for the rest of the chapter, sublime as usual, Klemens' joke regarding the inability of the Bourbons to think of an overly complex plan to get rid of a possible inconvenient competitor ( unlike the Medici or the Borgias )
In Klemens' defense, none of the current generation of Bourbon (and I'm including Louis Philippe) really has the combination of brainpower, motive and access necessary. The ones who have access don't have brains and the one who thinks he has brains doesn't have access. Matter of fact, Louis Philippe would a) gain nothing by it, since Frankie isn't in the Capetian line of succession; b) he'd be the first suspect if something does happen (due to his father's reputation as a regicide) and c) he'd piss off both the Légitimists, the Bonapartists and the Republicans by doing it

is very funny, is there any chance that Franz could convince the British not to totally trust King Louis, given that Louis is already demonstrating that he wants to play on multiple fronts simultaneously ( promising to assist Ferdinand but supporting Murat's government )
He hasn't promised to assist either Ferdinand (in Naples or Spain). Simply stated "of course I want my cousin restored" if pressed on the matter.

And as mentioned, if Louis is smart, he'd offer Franz something for the Habsburgs in exchange. Like the Savoy-Piedmont succession. IIRC Metternich was the main supporter of Carlo Alberto succeeding. Both Vittorio Emanuele I and Carlo Felice distrusted him and preferred the Modenese alternative. So a partition (France keeps Savoie, Modena gets Piedmont, Genoa and Sardinia*).

*found out today that there was actually talk of Napoléon being granted Sardinia once he abdicated (but the house of Savoie objected since they would only be restored in exchange). So that could've been interesting I'm sure.

perhaps by trying to make direct contact with Georgie Porgy to try to flatter him, convincing him that Vienna will support his ambitions for Hanover ?
I dont see why he couldn't.